Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

New Home

This is our third house we have bought, and I have learned that the first year in a new house is always expensive.  It seems like there are several pressing and time-consuming jobs that can't be put off.  The biggest one in our new home has been the deck.


Amid my unpacking, classes, and internship I have also managed to sand and paint our deck once Nathan rebuilt the balusters.   This weekend I have 56 more balusters to paint before Nathan puts them up, and I can call it good for the year.  And just in time, because winter is getting close.

We took a couple trips out to Crater Lake, but I am yet to see it up close.  There is only one trail down to the lake which is quite steep.  The first time we went, it was too cold for our little ones.  I came completely unprepared not even thinking that we would need jackets in July.


The second time we came, Danielle and Nicole were done only halfway down, so I hiked back up with them, leaving the boys to go on.  Nathan was kind enough to take pictures for me.  Next time, I am leaving the kids at home, so I can actually make it to the lake.


That won't be happening this year, though.  Snow fell in September and the lake is already closed.  I didn't realize till we went to the visitor's center that Crater Lake is the 5th deepest lake in the WORLD.


Connor was the only one crazy enough to swim in the snowmelt.


It was more than a little invigorating.


Nathan celebrated his 39th birthday.  He had his traditional enchiladas, refried beans, chile rellenos and for dessert:  carrot cake.  We had a great time with the Garretts that weekend.


Amid everything, we worked on the deck in all our spare time.  It has the same square footage as our first house.


I did it in sections, and finished the side by our bedroom first.  This picture really doesn't do it justice, but it did look a lot better.


And what a view we have every morning.  This fall has brought fog over the lake nearly every morning.  The leaves have been turning, and I count my blessings every day when I look out from our new home.


I will have to take an after picture on this side.  We are close.  We should be done this Saturday.  Then I can put my attention to other matters.  Like finishing my Lifespan paper or taking a few quizzes.


1 comment:

  1. Do you even have time to breathe?! Wow, you are busy! The deck looks great! I can't wait til when we get to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete