Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Belated Birthdays


Yesterday was my mom's birthday and I didn't remember until today. I felt really horrible and wondered why I never remember people's birthdays. I know we were pretty casual when I was growing up. We didn't have birthday parties every year. When we did have one though it was all-out. My favorite birthday in memory was when my mom threw me a costume party (October birthday), and she dressed as a gypsy and told everyone's fortunes. It was incredible.

My mom was named Julie I think because she was the third of three girls to be born in July. She is not a person who pushes herself to the front and is content to do all the work in the shadow of others. She is a selfless person to the point that she sometimes loses herself. I admire her lack of materialism and her generous spirit. I remember the few times that I was sick as a child she had cool hands and just what I needed to feel better, be it freshly cooked chicken broth or consoling words. I'm nowhere as sympathetic with my own kids, I'm afraid.

I remember many birthdays where our present was pulled out of a closet and presented still in the store bag. Often we get birthday cards a couple weeks after our birthday....and that's just fine with me. I know that my mom won't be at all offended when I give her a call later this afternoon a day late. That's one of the many things that I love and appreciate about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment