Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spring aka Wind

My favorite season has always been Spring. That is, until I moved to Alamosa. Here the winds have replaced Spring. I feel even more housebound, because even though the temperatures are so much warmer, I am still stuck inside. Any flowers that attempt to poke their heads out of the ground are blown apart pretty quickly. The outside here is still brown, when everywhere else in the world people are planting their gardens. To cope mentally, I finally had to decide that as long as I live in Alamosa, I will have to change my favorite season. The trouble is I haven't been able to decide what to change it to yet.

Yet, as the saying goes, there is always a silver lining to every cloud. My silver lining here in Alamosa, is my view. We live next to a wetland area and I have 6 large windows that point out toward it. I can always tell that Spring is here by the sounds and sights of the birds. I love to be woken up to their natural alarm clock. There are Canada Geese, Ducks, Robins, and a myriad of other nameless birds. My favorite neighborhood bird whose appearance always thrills me is the Yellow-headed blackbird.


Despite the fact that we had two days of nice weather and were able to go out twice on walks before the wind came, I can look out the windows and spot pretty birds and ducks nesting on little islands. I've also spotted a red fox back there as well as countless deer.


Even in other seasons there is endless changing beauty. The green of the summer and the frozen winter wonderland are just as beautiful. It's a lesson that I've learned that there is something wonderful wherever you live. You can choose to mourn the thing you no longer have, or you can find the unique blessing in front of you. So I look out and watch last season's cattails blowing in the wind, and I tell myself that someday the wind will stop and I can get out in my flower garden and enjoy one of my four favorite seasons.

3 comments:

  1. i think the wind controls our new spring time too. i'm still learning about our new seasons here in pocatello. hopefully your wind will end soon so you can take care of all those beautiful flowers in your ward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a windy spring here too. But one of the things I admire most about you is that you have the capacity to "bloom where you are planted", And of course that you have beautiful, talented, amazing, brilliant children.

    ReplyDelete