Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tucked in my Arms


When I was growing up I knew a few people who homeschooled their children......and they were crazy. Somehow I ended up becoming crazy myself. I was unaware until later that my journey in that direction started when I was only 17.

That year I received my patriarchal blessing which said, "You will have a great challenge raising your children in righteous paths." Those words terrified me and made me never want to have children. When I was set apart for a new calling four years later I received an inspired blessing that gave me new hope and guidance. It opened with these words, "The Lord knows of your great fear of raising your children in righteous paths, but know that all will be well if you teach your children courageously."

When my oldest was only three, I attended a Church General Women's Broadcast where our prophet, President Hinckley spoke to mothers. He talked about some things we needed to do in raising our children. One of the things he mentioned was making sure our kids had good friends and making sure that they got the best education possible. I visited the school we were zoned for and knew that I could never send my kids there. It felt like a battlefield. I looked into private schools, but the cost was more than we could ever afford. I browsed Barnes and Noble and discovered the homeschooling section. I read "Homeschooling the Early Years" by Linda Dobson. The more I read, the more I knew that this was my answer.

I now have 7 years of homeschooling under my belt. There have been ups and downs along the way and plenty of insecurities, but this is the first year that I really can start to see the fruit of my work and it is sweet. My favorite time in the morning is when I wake up and walk out to see one child practicing the piano, another writing in their math notebook, one doing a Latin lesson on the computer and one coloring a picture. My house is a learning house and there is such a wonderful feeling here.

Of course it isn't easy, and we have hard days as well. I know that we live outside the traditional box; there are sacrifices that I make. But most of the time I am so happy. As I course through life, I tuck my children in my arms and meet my challenge of raising them in righteous paths.

3 comments:

  1. I signed up as a follower, assuming that that meant that I would get email notifications of new posts. Apparently not. I'm bummed that I've been missing these posts as you posted them!

    I do think that you are brave to homeschool, and I definitely see that it requires a lot of sacrifices. I am glad that you have found the solution that is bringing you peace. That underlying peace is what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you inspire me....we all need inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Larissa, that is seriously impressive. I know it's been a while since we knew you, and back then your kids were in nursery and ours weren't even born yet! But you are such an amazing woman i'm so glad i've rediscovered you! I have always wanted to find a better alternative to 'public school,' i so worry about the influences there, both students and teachers and curiculum. I thought for a while about homeschool, but i really don't think i could do it, it's impressive to see you doing it so well! I've since moved on to looking into opening a private school in our area that would basically be run by all mormons and would uphold our standards and spirituality. I don't know if i'll ever get it off the ground...but i sincerely hope so!

    ReplyDelete