Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Expecting Expectations


I've always been blessed with good health. I've had four healthy pregnancies and never had any complications. This pregnancy has been a little more stressful for me than the past four. I can tell that I am older, and I am having issues that never came up before. A couple months back my thyroid tested quite low. I felt like my life of invincibility came crashing down around me. Then, it was too high, so it had to be adjusted. This morning I was measuring two centimeters smaller than I should be, and sure enough, the ultrasound showed the baby only weighing 3'11", when she should be closer to 5'.

I think the older we get the more fragile life becomes. I used to love to read tragic books, and reveled in the sorrow. I think when we are young and have no personal tragedy, we need to experience it through some other medium. Now that I have plenty of my own personal fears and challenges I don't need to gain it vicariously. There are some books that I can no longer read.

I'm still a pretty optimistic person, and I'm sure Danielle will be just fine. A friend of mine looked like she was measuring small and then she delivered a 9' baby. I guess time will tell. In the meantime I am just enjoying the end of my pregnancy.

These are the things that I won't miss about pregancy: charly horses in the middle of the night, constantly emptying my bladder, heartburn, sore ligaments, sickness and exhaustion, the fears and uncertainty, other unmentionable conditions. These are the things that I will miss: feeling the baby kicking, Nathan's extra attention and help, the way I look when I'm pregnant. I think pregnant women are beautiful.

It really is a magical stage of life. I'm glad that I get to go through this one more time, stress and all. I'll be happy when I have Danielle tucked in my arms along with my other children.

4 comments:

  1. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    I get sad thinking about never getting to be pregnant again. I loved being pregnant, too. But, to everything there is a season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALWAYS measure small the end of my pregnancies. Emily was 6lbs. 14.5 oz, Hyrum was 8lbs 9 oz (22" long), Heber was 8lbs 4oz and Ammon was 7lbs. 13 oz (I think).

    3 days before Emily was born the Dr. told me that she thought Emily was only 4lbs by feeling and the ultra sound put her due date on Nov 15th...she was born on Oct. 30th..with absolutly NO signs of being early.

    What do you feel inside? If you turn to your intuition... you will know better than even any machine could tell you.

    Than funniest part is that before my 20 week mark I ALWAYS measure big... and "they" ALWAYS insist on checking for twins...no twins yet. ;)

    Sorry you're not feeling well :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling of a final pregnancy. Our littles one, Catcher was the most diffuclt of a gamut of difficult pregnancies. We offically declared him our last biological child. I would have loved to revel in the pregnancy afterall it would be the last. But i was in so much pain thru most of the pregnancy that aside from baby moving inside, there was nothing else to enjoy at all. And it was such a sigh of releif to make it as far as i did and to have that baby out and begin my own healing, that i have to say, at this point i am glad to not be having any more. We hope to buy a bigger house and adopt another one so Maggie won't be our only adopted one, so that makes it a little easier to know i won't be "having" any more :)

    ReplyDelete