Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Balancing Act

I took an hour nap today. For the first time in years. It felt great, and I felt a lot happier afterward.  I struggle in finding balance in my life and often take on more than I can handle.  I always try to simplify, but often feel that I can't give up anything.  I have worked hard this school year to make more time for self-care and to balance all my responsibilities with homeschooling, teaching seminary, maintaining our home, and meeting my personal needs.  I'm starting to realize that I have always put off exercise and my interests, which has led to dissatisfaction and resentment. 

I really want to listen to my body more instead of just pushing through. I often forget and stretch myself too thin.  I'm not entirely sure how this happens.  For one thing I don't like to say no to anything.  Often I feel that many things depend on me, but I can't do everything for everyone, so I have to be more selective.  I also sense my mortality more in my mid-40's when the body begins its slow decline.  I read a wonderful book about aging in our society called, Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.  I realize that aging is inevitable, but there are things I can do now to have a higher quality of life.  I also realize that my time on earth is finite and I need to be more intentional about how I spend my remaining time. 

I've thought through what my priorities are, and I don't have any burning desire to learn a new skill or pick up a new hobby.  I suppose that could change, but I'm pretty happy with my current interests.  I think at this point I want to continue expanding on my current interests including reading, knitting, piano/organ, exercise, cooking, writing, and quilting.  I love continuing education in the counseling field.  I also have some more years of homeschooling ahead of me that I want to do well.  One thing I want to do more of in the future is travel.  We're approaching expensive years of college/missions/weddings, so that may not be possible right away, but I intend to make it happen in the future.

I am happy to say that as I look back over the first half of my life I have very few regrets and no major ones.  I am happy to see my children grow up to be intelligent, sensitive, thinking, good, hard-working, spiritual people all with their own unique talents and interests.  I enjoy our changing relationships as they turn into young adults.  I am grateful that I pushed through getting my Master's Degree to work as a counselor, which I find very fulfilling.  I have grown so much through the multitude of church callings I have served in.  I wish that I had closer friendships.  This has been hard both to make new friends when I move so often and to keep the friendships after we move on. I would like to make more friends in time, but I do have my people I've found with whom I try to surround myself.  My best choice I made in my life was marrying Nathan.  He is a perfect complement to me and helps me to be my best self.  Thank goodness he is my best friend!  Overall, I'm finding my balance in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment