Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

My Rough Sandpaper


Nathan and I have an ongoing joke that he is the rough sandpaper, and I am the fine sandpaper.  This has come as a result of the numerous house projects we have worked on over the years.  He knocks out the large components of replacing drywall, rewiring the electrical outlets, landscaping our yard, painting the house, and laying tile to name just a few projects.


I follow behind him fixing the finer points of the projects, pointing out holes that still need to be patched, rough edges to knock down, bushes that need to be pruned or finishing touches that are left.  I am the official indoor painter in our home, because of my eye for details, but when I want 5 bushes ripped out of the backyard, I won't even touch them.


Our differences just demonstrate how we complement one another.  We both know our own interests and allow each other the freedom to pursue our passions.  We are supportive of each other in our varying interests.  Not only are we supportive, but we push each other to be better in all that we do.


At the same time, we have always been unified in the important goals and priorities.  We are equally yoked in all our pursuits.  We have always been committed to each other and to our family.  We have laughter in our home and prayer that bookends our days.


Marriage is always a bit of a risk, placing our life in the hands of another person.  I am blessed to have done pretty well.  Considering when we were married, Nathan didn't have a declared major with years of college ahead of him, we have come far.  He has excelled in his career as a city manager, always working to improve himself and the people around him.  He has always served faithfully for his church in every calling that he has been given.


Most of all, he has been a father worthy of emulation.  He has told stories every night for the past 14 years.  All of our children look up to him and see him as a hero.  I am grateful my my rough sandpaper and for how he lifts me and improves me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment