Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Christmas 2013


I hate to say it, but I am really just relieved that last year is behind me.  Even as I tried to savor the sweet moments of the season, there were other bitter times that marred this Christmas season.


I was a little homesick for our old traditions, and though we found a perfectly beautiful place to chop a tree, there were none of the beautiful, noble firs that we had at a 10,000 ft. altitude.  Colorado will always be the home of our best Christmas trees.


My kids are growing too quickly, and I feel the years slipping through my fingers.  I hate to see my youngest growing so big.  She loved chopping the tree and tromping around the mountain.  I remember our first few years of chopping trees, with aching back and arms from holding a baby and sometimes a toddler at the same time.  This year I didn't even have to help carry the tree.


Holidays are infused with family memories and I was particularly aware of the absence of my father.  Maybe the sadness you feel in later years is the tradeoff for the wonderful memories of childhood.


We had a stunning view of Mt. Shasta that was particularly memorable.   After living on both the north and south side of this beauty, I favor the north side, which is in the shade of the day and is snowier.


As I reached the half-way point of my internship, the end feels a little closer, but I was far too busy this Christmas to my liking.  I prefer more time at home with my children.  My time felt too stretched to really savor our traditions.


I am generally not a negative person, and I have wonderful memories of this holiday season.  Hopefully, when I look back, the sad moments will dull and the happy will stand out.


Still, I must again repeat my sentiments this year....I am relieved to have it behind me.






1 comment:

  1. I have to say that some of my "blue" moments from this Christmas season came because I knew of the sorrow you are bearing. It gets easier, but there will always be those moments of sadness. I love you and hope you know that. Your beautiful family are such a joy to us!

    ReplyDelete