Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Caving











 





 


I remember reading Thor Heyerdahl’s description of exploring Easter Island, when there were only natives living there.  I was more than an little creeped out by the idea of all the caving he did.  He was a pretty lean man, but he still had to squeeze through some of the openings.  I have a few issues with claustrophobia, so thinking of small openings gives me the heebie-jeebies.  

While we were out in Klamath, we took a day to go down to the Lava Beds National Park.  It didn't look like much on the drive out, and I braced myself for the whining sure to ensue when we got there.   

Surprisingly, we discovered that dozens of caves are available for self-exploration.  Because these caves are the result of lava formations, they aren't as protected.  We ended up exploring five caves that day and vowed to go back soon.  It was amazing how different each cave was.  Some were smaller and went on for longer distances.  Others were enormous and have year round ice inside them.  It was quite the adventure.  My favorite was Valentine's Cave, named after being discovered on Valentine's Day.  Though the longest cave, I didn't feel claustrophobic, because it was quite roomy.  Nicole and Andrew were a little less thrilled at that one, but Danielle and Connor were maniacs.  They didn't want to stop, even when the tunnel narrowed.  

Altogether, it was a fun day had by all.


No comments:

Post a Comment