Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Sunday, November 4, 2012

My First Born


I was curious this year about how Brandon would do in public school.  He had never taken a test other than the required national testing in 3rd, 5th, and 7th grades.  He had never had a graded assignment and I was his only teacher through all the years with the exception of a science class in 8th grade.  I really didn't know how he would handle all the pressures of public school with the deadlines, assignments, grades and tests. 

The first month of school was very challenging for him.  He felt overwhelmed and had no idea just how much homework he would have, so it took him a while to get on his feet.  Tests were especially tricky for him and they were a little rough at first, but I am proud of his perseverance.  After just one quarter he has figured things out.  He is doing great in all his classes and is learning a lot.  I am especially happy that he is loving his experience.  We are lucky enough to live in walking distance and get to have him home with us for lunch every day, so we don't go into withdrawal for his company.

I see in Brandon wisdom and perspective beyond his years.   He sees things as they really are and hasn't been sucked into the high school culture.  He is mature and diligent.  I never have to remind him to do his homework, and though at first I looked it over from time to time, I have stopped doing even that and trust that he will figure it out.  At parent-teacher conference all his teachers appreciated how well-behaved and respectful he is.  He is also highly social and has a number of good friends. Basketball tryouts are this week, and I am sure he will do outstanding and all his hard work will pay off. 



I am drawn back to when he was 4 years old and I took him to the school we were zoned for in Redding.  I knew that I could never send him there and thus began the search for a new path.  I often questioned and re-questioned my decision to homeschool him, but I feel that time answers a lot of those questions.  He is well on his path and is setting a bright example for his younger siblings.  We have a wonderful, close relationship.  I feel blessed to have had him so close to us for so long.  It is a gift that we have all been given.  I hate to think that in just 3 1/2 short years, I will have to say goodbye to him, but I know that he absolutely will be prepared!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear how well Brandon is doing in high school! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete