Family March 2017

Family March 2017

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What I learned at Gettysburg

I must admit, that the only reason I went to Gettysburg was for Nathan's sake. I've never been much of a history buff, and I tend to have different interests. We spent our second day at the battlefield and went on the driving tour after going through the museum, cyclorama, and film. There were a few things that I have thought about since the experience. First, it took me back to see the faces of those who died on both sides of the battle.

They were real people whose families mourned their loss.

This display of two fused bullet captured my attention. I don't know why, but for some reason the thought of two people on opposing sides shooting at the exact moment and creating mutual destruction was haunting.

We stood on the spot where Chamberlain held the high ground. It was extremely rocky and such a small space. They must have twisted ankles and felt so vulnerable in holding the high ground. It was awe-inspiring.

When I saw the wheat field of Pickett's Charge, I understood Lee's pride and folly for the first time. How he thought they had any chance of winning this charge is inconceivable. He must have known that there would be slaughter.

Later that night we drove into Washington D.C. where we went on a night bus tour. We saw this:

I re-read the Gettysburg address and the Emancipation Proclamation, and realized that there are some things that are worth fighting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment